Saturday 24 November 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky




The Perks of Being a Wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky 

After finally reading 'The Perks of being a Wallflower', I understand some of the commotion behind people liking the book. It certainly wasn't a quick read even with only 231 pages, the book told Charlie's perspective through his life. It dealt with drugs, school, depression and sex all as themes within the books. As a reader I found the book interesting, it's split into 4 parts with an epilogue which show to the audience how Charlie copes and deals with his struggles. The book is centred around Charlie's depression and guilt that holds over him by his Aunts death. The book deals with friendship as a key theme showing how his feelings for Sam which are projected bigger as the story progresses will always be there for Charlie, the friendship between Sam, Charlie and Patrick. 

However, although the book was one that you should always read- a recommendation to say that you have read the book and understood Charlie's heartbreaking life. I do believe the novel is a tricky one, it took a while to read over the words Chbosky writes and re-read them a couple of times to actually understand the idea of the story and Charlie himself. All in all I, I was a bit taken back by the hype for this novel it wasn't one I fully enjoyed and can say I loved it. It had the idea to create a good story and to tell the life of Charlie but it takes a while to re-read the words. I can truthly say I was actually disappointed within this novel, but never the less I still say others shall read it and actually see what the hype is about, as you may like it.

3/5 stars


Lydia S Jones

GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment