Tuesday 10 September 2013

Uglies (Uglies #1) by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies (Uglies #1)

by Scott Westerfeld

Firstly, I didn't purchase this book or was drawn to it by it's association with The Hunger Games, a trilogy which I love. I believe after reading this book that it is nothing alike THG, the differences are clearly shown by the plot of the book. I loved the heroin of Tally, the portrayal of a young girl who want's to be just like everyone else, Pretty. She hates the way she is born, an Ugly. Her hatred towards being left in Uglyville whilst her best friend Peris is in New Pretty Town, makes you sympathise for Tally. However, as she meets Shay a girl who twists Tally's beliefs and morals, the story takes a turn. At first I believed it was going to be a typical Tally is in love with Peris but forbidden by the Ugly and Pretty view upon them. The whole Romeo & Juliette love story. But I was fully mistaken by the introduction to David, a character which I believe can become something more, a hero and a safe haven for Tally.

Although, it took me a while to get into this book, I was happy that I carried on reading till the end. I loved the layout and how Scott Westerfeld has portrayed his female protagonist within the world of image change. I recommend this series completely to anyone who loves to try something new. It's a complete new story portraying how society works with technology and the behavior of the uglies, smokies, rusties and pretties. 


4/ 5 stars

Lydia S Jones

GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment